Moving to a new place is really intimidating for me. I think a lot of people enjoy the opportunity for change, exciting adventures and a new life, but I have never been someone who dealt with change well. As much as I loved Brooklyn, my first year in Brooklyn was tough. As much as I loved college, my first semester was really tough. As much as I loved my hometown, moving there was really tough. Sensing a theme?
The exciting part about moving upstate is that I’m moving up here with Chris. That means no matter what, I will have a friend, a support system, and comfort. That makes moving a little more relaxed. Also, although I don’t have a job, Chris does! This makes unemployment and finances a little more bearable. Not by much, but better than last time.
Part of my attempt to really embrace and enjoy my new home is to explore the nooks and crannies when I can. Here are my five favorite parts about Rochester so far:
1. Genesse River Trailway – I’ve used this trail (which is about 1/4 mile from my house) to run and bike and enjoy the outdoors that I didn’t have as much access to in Brooklyn.
2. Our Apartment – it’s huge. HUGE. We have two full bedrooms, a kitchen we can actually cook in, and a seating area where we can hold dinner parties.
3. Access to Parks – there are some really great state parks, city parks, hiking, biking, and water near us. I mean, we’re twenty minutes away from a Great Lake. That’s pretty cool.
4. Cost – Stuff here is much cheaper! Going out for eating and drinking, shopping, grocery shopping, general living – it’s cheaper!
5. Opportunity for a new style of life – city living was wonderful. It was fun, it was exciting, there was always something going on. But I admit it, I was getting tired of it. Chris and I are ready to possibly move into a different stage of our life, not necessarily kids or anything…but maybe a puppy?
What do you love about where you live? Have you found new opportunities or places to explore where you’ve lived for many years?